Monday 23 July 2012

Other than sushi

Sunday afternoon would be just perfect for an "authentic" Japanese food. This time, we tried eating at Tonkichi Japanese Restaurant. Tonkichi Restaurant mainly offers "Tonkatsu" (Ton=pork; Katsu=cutlet). 


This window pane adds to the Asian vibe inside the restaurant. I decided to sit on a table just across these windows to enjoy more of the outdoor light. 
Sushi could be one of the most popular food -  next to pizza I guess:-) Other than Sushi, I am a big fan of Japanese tempura especially when you dip and eat it with special tempura sauce.




We are the only ones eating in the whole restaurant, mainly, because we went in bit too early for dinner. The afternoon sunlight makes this really obvious. :-)

I have decided to try a healthier choice :-)


Healthier choice but bigger servings! 




Appetizer (egg with mushroom)
This may read as eat more sushi, drink more beer! LOL


The very famous Japanese Sapporo beer. 



This clear soup is a bit salty though.


We also have this cheesy prawn  tempura. This really tastes sooo good. I like this more than my "healthier" tempura with asparagus. 
Tempura + Cabbage Salad = health & love? LOL
Time for dessert - "Chawanmushi" anyone?
I hardly distinguished its taste from the appetizers. I may have been confused and probably  could have switched the two - LOL
This watermelon is really sweet!

I would say that the restaurant service is quite decent saved for forgetting to give us the basics -  soup spoon and chopsticks. The food presentation and the feel inside the restaurant can be next to "authentic" Japanese dining experience. However, the staffs could have worn traditional Japanese Kimono with traditional Japanese instrumentals as background music - I know that I cannot be so demanding as this is not a fancy restaurant. :-)

The taste of tempura is nothing but the usual and similar with what I have previously tried in other places ( and what I have previously fried at home - LOL). I can hardly tasted tempura if not with the help of tempura sauce.  

This makes me think whether I should have gone to try their "Tonkatsu" instead - the pride of this restaurant. I bet the dining experience could had been more rewarding. 

The main plus for dining in this Japanese restaurant is that every "Tonkatsu" set meal comes with free flow of Japanese rice and cabbage salad. 


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...